Mercury poisoning can be extremely serious – make sure you know the signs of poisoning and how to avoid it.
February 29, 2020
Mercury is a type of natural metal that can be found in tiny amounts in many products and foods. Small amounts of mercury are safe to be around and even eat – but exposure to too much mercury can be extremely bad for your health.
According to Medical News Today, the most common cause of organic mercury poisoning is eating seafood that contains high amounts of mercury.
This is why doctors highly suggest that pregnant women, women who may become pregnant, nursing women and young children should be extra careful when eating seafood. WebMD reports that shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock and catfish have some of the lowest amounts of mercury. Limit intake to 1 to 2 4 oz servings per week.
However, there are other types of mercury (known as elemental and inorganic mercury) that can be found in products or in the environment. Elemental mercury is liquid at room temperature and shiny silver in color. Elemental and inorganic mercury may be found in the following products:
The symptoms of mercury poisoning vary depending on the type of mercury and when the exposure to the mercury happened. Sometimes, it may take months (or even years) for someone to experience any symptoms of mercury poisoning.
Here are some general signs to look out for in adults, according to Healthline:
In the long term, elemental mercury can also cause a metallic taste in the mouth or swollen, bleeding gums.
If you or a loved one think you may have been exposed to mercury or are experiencing any symptoms, seek medical attention.
The following information will help the emergency team get you the right help as quickly as possible:
Our caring teams at Valleywise Health Medical Center and Valleywise Health Emergency – Maryvale are available 24/7 to help you or your loved one experiencing mercury poisoning make a fast recovery. Learn more at ValleywiseHealth.org.
Poisoning in all forms is very serious and often requires urgent medical treatment. If you or a loved one has ingested too much of a harmful substance, visit our emergency room immediately.